Recollection of this day in history - How I got hooked on computer modeling

 

RAMS simulation of Hurricane Andrew

Responding to the 30-year anniversary of Hurricane Andrew. One of my favorite accomplishments (Eastman, J.L., 1995: Numerical simulation of Hurricane Andrew - Rapid intensification. 21st Conference on Hurricanes and Tropical Meteorology, 24-28 April 1995, Miami, Florida, AMS, Boston, 111-113.) Made me think about how old I am getting and how I am in a sense the father of modern-day hurricane forecasting. Amazingly the "good ole boys’ network" at the HRC sucked up all funds and they pursued it. We gave up getting funding despite having Bill Gray on our team (the father of statistical seasonal hurricane forecasting). I remember he walked in one day when our team was viewing the animation I produced. He piped in loudly, "when the hell did that hurricane form, I missed it!". We all roared with laughter. 

I have been addicted to numerical modeling ever since. Thanks Dr. Roger Pielke Sr. for letting me go off in tangents during my grad school days. 

 

Original Tweet: Know it well. A couple years later I became the first person to ever simulate an actual hurricane with a mesoscale model (hi-res, sophisticated), took 10 days to run. Today this is the norm for forecasting hurricanes thanks to CPU power. https://twitter.com/MattDevittWINK/status/1562409999883812864

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MAPS - First Blog

Schools and Mandates

The Daily Higgs